- Category: Village News
- Created: Tuesday, 23 December 2008 16:35
- Hits: 735
FIRE crews from East Hull and Preston fire stations who were called to a home in Skirlaugh arrived on scene to find a bungalow heavily alight.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a main water jet and a hosereel to fight the fire and stop it spreading to adjacent properties in Langdale Villas.
Once extinguished, crews used a PPV fan to force smoke out of the bungalow involved in fire and the neighbouring home.
Tiles had to be removed and the fire crews place salvage sheets on the roof as a temporary cover until repairs can be affected.
A Humberside Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "It appears that the occupants will have to move out of the home until the local council can visit the premises to inspect the damage with a view to starting repair work."
A working smoke alarm alerted the occupants to the fire.
"The fire was started accidentally, probably an electrical fault was to blame," said spokesman Glenn Ramsden, who added: "A tragic story at any time of year but especially close to the festive period.
"Thankfully the working smoke alarm drew attention to the problem and crews were able to focus on firefighting as soon as they arrived with no worry of having to search for the occupants."