Parish council minutes December 2016

 

Minutes of the Meeting of Skirlaugh Parish Council held on 7th December 2016

 

 

 

Present:  Cllr. Frost (in the chair), Cllrs. Atkinson, Beaumont, Hakeney, McDonald, Phelan, Wilson. 

 

Apologies: Cllrs. Corden, Large.  Absent: Cllr. Pearce.

 

 

 

1.         Declarations of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests

 

·         Cllr. McDonald declared a pecuniary interest in item 5b, discussion on Garden Centre planning application for siting of caravans.

2.         The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd November 2016, having previously been circulated, were taken as read.

 

·         Resolved that the minutes should be approved and signed.

 

 

 

3.         Matters Arising from the Minutes

 

(a)        Casual vacancy: no enquiries regarding current vacancy.  The advert will be repeated in the next newsletter.

 

Cllr. Pearce has been absent without prior approval for six consecutive months, therefore ceases to be a councillor.

 

(b)       Caravan park planning application: reply from ERYC that there has been no change to their guidelines and that it would need to be stated that views are strongly held, or request that the application is referred to the full committee.  Agreed that Clerk to respond again.

 

(c)        A165 traffic issues: ERYC replied with their criteria for assessing the need for a pedestrian crossing.  Agreed that the parish council should not request a survey at the moment.

 

(d)       Taskforce: enquiry about progress of works passed to Mike Peeke and Steve Roberts.  No further reply received.

 

 

 

4.         Precept 2017-2018

 

(a)        The Churchyard Grounds Maintenance Committee has recommended that a survey of trees is carried out to assess the extent and cost of work required.

 

·         Resolved that the committee's recommendation is approved.

 

In view of the potential expenditure which will have an effect on the amount of the precept, it was agreed that setting the precept should be deferred to the January meeting.

 

 (b)      A request has been made for funding for a Party in the Park in 2017.

 

·         Resolved that an amount of £1500 plus VAT is contributed.

 

(c)        The playing field committee has requested funding to pay for grass cutting and clearing the ditch.

 

·         Resolved that the parish council continues to pay for this work on the same basis as 2016, in 2017-18.

 

(d)       Clerk's salary: Resolved that the clerk is paid in accordance with NALC Scale SCP22 with effect from 1st April 2017.

5.         Planning Applications

 

(a)        Plans passed: 16/02920 Beech Lawn.

 

                                    16/03405, 27 Benningholme Lane

 

(b)       16/03347, new vehicular access at Providence House.  No objections.

 

(c)        16/03496, outline application for detached dwelling, 5 Panama Drive. No observations.

 

(d)       16/03804, retention of container, Cawood House.  No observations.

 

 

 

6.         Highways and Grounds Maintenance

 

(a)        Blocked drain: drain on Church Lane reported to ERYC.  ERYC replied that this has been noted in the Taskforce schedule and has previously been attended to, but will be cleared again.  Clerk to check with Mike Peeke.

 

(b)       Jubilee Wood: Cllr. Frost reported that the trees planted by TCV this year have become overgrown with weeds.  TCV will carry out clearance work at a cost of £400, assuming one day's work, in January.

 

·         Resolved that TCV is asked to do this work.

 

(c)        New dog fouling signs have been received, to be placed over the existing signs.

 

 

 

7.         Correspondence Received

 

(a)        ERYC:              Local Paths Partnership review.  Proposed that the scheme will be closed from 2018 and ERYC will carry out PRoW works.  Clerk to ask how often paths will be cut, and express disappointment at the loss of the funding currently received.

 

            Overview and Scrutiny committee

 

            Chairman's Awards

 

(b)       Graham Stuart: information regarding proposal to retain existing constituency boundary.  A response has already been submitted to support this proposal.

 

(c)        Defibrillator: a recent check by the ambulance service noted that the pads are out of date.  They have asked that a nominated person carries out weekly checks to ensure the device is working. 

 

                       

 

8.         Payment of Accounts

 

            Mrs. S. Towne                           350.89             November salary

 

            P. Bowser                               1400.00           Tree pruning

 

            Tony Cook Ltd                          252.00             Jubilee Wood, churchyard

 

            Cumbria Clock Co                  150.00             Clock service

 

            ERYC                                      391.18             Street lighting maintenance

 

            T. Frost                                    210.00             Christmas tree, S137

 

            Poppy Appeal                           25.00             Poppy Wreath, S137

 

 

 

Ÿ  Resolved that in accordance with its powers under Sections 137/139 of the LGA 1972, the expenditure for the Christmas tree and the poppy wreath is incurred which, in the opinion of the Council, is in the interests of the inhabitants and will benefit them in a manner commensurate with the expenditure.

 

 

 

9.         Date of Next Meeting

 

Wednesday 4th January 2017 at 7.30 pm in Church Cottage.